Exploring the world of fiber, one draft at a time

My posting can be as frequent or infrequent as my spinning, so be as patient as that fiber, sitting in my stash.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Second batch The Big Wash up


Merino/silk/bamboo top dyed by Lisa Sousa with remaining fiber to be spun.  I got this fiber at Stitches Midwest, and also my Trindle spindle.  So I started spinning this fiber on that spindle right away.  I am still working on this project  and just love the process and the yarn.  170 yards 2 ply 16 WPI.


From left to right:

Magic Five challenge skein, TdF 13, I call it anything but wool.  The challenge was to put 5 things into a batt and spin it.  I used brown llama, light gray angora,white mohair,bright blue bamboo and rainbow color fire star.  This is the order from most to smallest amounts no exact percentages.  I made three batts and spun a single and then chain plied the yarn.  70 yards, 11 WPI 3 ply.

Wild Hair Studio art batt. 47 yards, 2 ply 10 WPI.

BFL dyed by Frabjous Fibers 83 yards, 2 ply 8 WPI

Salish fiber sample skein, woolen spun 2 ply 40 yards.


The next two skeins are the same fiber with different appearances.  
BFL dyed by Cloudlover.  Both skeins are chain plied and 9 WPI.   First is 40 yards, and the second is 124 yards.  The first skein was a state fair entry skein.

Mohair one single dyed purple, milk one single dyed blue, spun on spindles and plied together as a sample skein.  Fondly called my Jimi Hendrix skein because hubby said it looked like I was spinning a purple haze.

Alpaca etc, sample skein to practice support spindle spinning. 17 yards, 2 ply 11 WPI.


No comments: