Exploring the world of fiber, one draft at a time

My posting can be as frequent or infrequent as my spinning, so be as patient as that fiber, sitting in my stash.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Hizzah! She knits again

That rumor you heard, that I hadn't picked up knitting needles for months...well, yep it was true. And if there has been no knitting, or spinning going on here, well then there was no blogging.

I hope that is to be changed now. I have actually picked up my needles again, and knitted. Someday that means there will be a photo of a finished product. Here's the fun part. I have started up on a mystery shawl that I stopped working on at least a year ago. The original mystery part of it was that the clues would come out periodically to be knitted as they arrived. That didn't happen, and I have all the clues in a folder, so now the mystery was, could I figure out where I quit knitting! It's lace work and I have a photocopy of the chart on a metal board, with the magnet under the line I am knitting. Can you believe, after a year of sitting in a knitting bag, that that magnet never moved? Well, I am deciding to believe it! And picked up the pattern from that point. Since the knitting is all squished onto a circular needle, and since I am very lazy about taking knitting off needles and onto a yarn line to look at it, I may end up with a funky part of the pattern in the shawl. So be it. I am knitting it for my knitting pleasure not for close up inspections.

Besides, I may have the luck to be picking up right where I left off.

So now that the knitting is back in my blood, what's on the agenda? I have a pair of socks to finish, a sweater almost done, and this shawl. Dare I set a deadline for them? I'm way past the deadline of being able to use them this winter (laugh), so I guess next fall is the option.

That's why I love this hobby. Nothing ever 'spoils' if you are slow in working with it. Ok Ok, yes the moths could munch on it, but generally, you put a knitting needle and yarn down, you could pick it up again years later. And maybe even know where you left off.

CW

No comments: