Exploring the world of fiber, one draft at a time

My posting can be as frequent or infrequent as my spinning, so be as patient as that fiber, sitting in my stash.

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Still trudging up the machine knitting learning curve

Machine knitted red lace scarf Posted by Hello


This got a blue ribbon at the State Fair, in the machine knit category. The judge's comment was 'very nicely done'.
.
I was impressed with it even before I took it to the state fair, but that came from the fact that I got through the whole scarf in one sitting, after only one false start. In fact I was almost late for work that day, I had started on the scarf before work, and it was going so well, I didn't want to stop. 'Just one more pattern repeat' became my mantra.

I love the edges on the scarf. I did just a quick cast on and knitted on waste yarn. And at the end, I did rows of waste yarn. Then I raveled that back and put the live stitches onto one of my skinny lace knitting needles. I probably could have transferred the end of the scarf to the needles directly, but as I was running short on time, it was quicker to just zip six rows of knitting on the waste yarn.
So once the live stitches were on the knitting needles I did a regular cast off on both ends. I like this finish much better than the hemming I did on the camel scarf.

There are several other differences that took this project one step up the learning curve. I did the lace pattern repeats with very few plain knit rows between them. And I used a finer yarn, which turns out to be a good thing. The drape on this scarf is fantastic.

I made this scarf for my mother, who is a 'red hatter'. These groups of senior citizen ladies meet for outings all wearing their red hats, and purple outfits. I thought the scarf was a perfect addition for her outfits. Since the yarn is acrylic, it will be comfortable in her Florida area.

I love this old knitting machine, except for one thing. I find as I am knitting along, it is not the relaxing zen experience it should be. Instead I am holding my breathe with every pass, wondering what will go wrong. This does mean though, that the victories, like this red scarf, are even more special.

CW

No comments: