Exploring the world of fiber, one draft at a time

My posting can be as frequent or infrequent as my spinning, so be as patient as that fiber, sitting in my stash.

Monday, June 01, 2009

Non wool fibers part 2

I just discovered tonight that this post was still saved as a draft and not really posted. My apologies to those that came to see the photos connected with the podcast episode 32 Silk soy and milk.

These are fibers for spinning of course, not food. It's part 2 of our non wool fiber podcasts. We talk a little bit about silk, since it was also covered in a previous episode. We focused on the soy fiber, talking about how to spin and dye it. And also a bit on the milk fiber. All of these fibers belong with protein fibers group, and dye like wool, with the exception that they should not be held at heat above 200 degrees.

Both my daughter and a vendor Natural Obsessions have a knack for dyeing these fibers. Here's a few pictures to prove it:


100% milk fiber, dyed by Natural Obsessions:


100% silk, dyed by my daughter:


100% soy silk, dyed by my daughter:
And my daughter spins it well too! 100% soysilk




Natural Obsessions http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&seller_id=28031

No comments: