Exploring the world of fiber, one draft at a time

My posting can be as frequent or infrequent as my spinning, so be as patient as that fiber, sitting in my stash.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Move Along

There's no fiber content here.

I thought it would bother me more to type that, but life has been busy and productive in other areas, and there just has not been time to make any progress on any of my fiber projects.
Right now in my life it's all about archiving. I received a wonderful printer for my computer for Christmas. It allows me to scan my photo negatives and put them into my computer, and then burn them on a CD. I have been working through about 30 years of negatives, with the main purpose of at least getting them saved in case they were ever damaged. Why I would worry about that after they have made it through 30 years is a mystery to me too.

And when it became evident two weeks ago that our second and last VCR was just not going to work anymore, we purchased a unit that will play both VCR tapes and DVD. That means I am able to make DVD's from my vast collection of taped programs. This is not so much an archiving activity as space saver. Imagine the difference in space that 50 VCR tapes and 25 or less DVD's take. That's a big space saving.

And last of all there is the stamp closet to clean out. This is a small storage closet in my computer room that is filled with all of the inventory from my Dad's small postage stamp business. I am gradually working my way through it, keeping what I want and preparing the rest for selling. It's interesting and fun for me because I am a stamp collector, and love the bits and pieces related to that hobby. Saturday night I went through a box that had nothing but used envelopes. Most of them are trivial, and will give up their stamps to go into someone's album. But some were real gems. There were envelopes, with letters included from the early 1900's. The writing is spidery and faded and often hard to read. That which I could read spoke of details from the daily life not much different from what I would write now in an email to a friend. The part that makes me set this envelopes into the save pile, is that they survived this long already. Some have some value to them, written on Red Cross stationary, telling the recipient that their son was in the hospital but recovering. It's such a tiny slice of life in those envelopes, a peek into the past that keeps me involved in this hobby.

So this post is to let you all know I am alive and well and not knitting. I have been thinking about knitting, reading books about knitting, but no yarn has passed through these fingers for weeks. I doubt that will last long.
CW

No comments: