Exploring the world of fiber, one draft at a time

My posting can be as frequent or infrequent as my spinning, so be as patient as that fiber, sitting in my stash.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Olympic spinning challenge finish line

I finished the final bit of the challenge at 10 am my time this morning, two hours before the close of the Olympics Beijing time. The cat bed knitting was completed Friday night, but so far the cat has only stood in it, not laid in it. I suspect it's just not cold enough yet to want a snuggly place to sleep.

So here's the starting line




And the finish line:



The challenge details:

Fleece from Maine Island Sheep (rare breed) about 2 pounds unwashed

Washed, picked, carded batts for spinning: 1 pound 9 5/8 ounces

Three sample skeins spun to get required 9 WPI for knit project

Total yarn spun: 630 yards 2 ply 9 WPI (total spinning yardage 1260 yards)

Project knitted: Snuggly catbed used 280 yards of yarn

Yarn put in stash: 350 yards

I feel a bit at a loss for what to do, now that this is done. I have focused on it above all other projects. I have cast on for a pair of sock and have about an inch knit, so if I want I can work on those. But for now, I have been happy to have a day away from the fiber.

CW

No comments: